Sunday, October 27, 2013

If you can't find it or can't afford it, then why not make it yourself?  Moreover, if you CAN make it yourself, why not give it a shot?  After all, designers are essentially the masters of DIY.  Since getting my sewing machine about two months ago, sewing has become my latest obsession.

I might not be able to get down a perfect technique by myself, but eventually I want to be able to create pieces from runway and catalogue looks that I've always coveted.  My Project Runway marathons have certainly been inspiring.  But for now, I'll stick with the basics.


This DIY from Secretlifeofabionerd taught me how to make my circle scarf above.

I've found that a lot of DIYs out there can look, well... DIY, a.k.a. crafty.  Which isn't that great for a grown person.  But these three are super genius.  Favorite Clothing (from scratch, or almost scratch) DIY blogs:

Cotton and Curls, Charity Shop Chic, and Adventures in Dressmaking.

Favorite Youtube How-To sewing channels:

I've found that kid's clothes are a great way to start because they're less cumbersome pieces, simpler fabrics and shapes, and you don't have to be too picky about fit.  Some easy tutorials I started out with:
I made these for my two baby cousins (one who's 5, and the other who's a few months old.)


Patterns* that taught me basic techniques:
  • Baby overall/pantalon/skirt (above): Burda Easy #9772.  Basic facing technique to stabilize necklines, button holes, and simple ruffles.
  • Princess seam light jacket: Simplicity #1699.  Basic sleeve construction, simple darts.  Also comes with a peplum top, dress, and pants pattern.
  • Pencil skirt: Butterick #B5566.  Three different interesting variations (side and top paneled, ruched.)  Teaches invisible zipper insertion.
*Make sure you wait for pattern sales.  No one should pay $15 for a pattern when fabric already costs that much!  Then you might as well just buy the piece at the store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Me

Lea
Atlanta/Seattle, United States
What is most interesting is fashion when it's living. I find it inspiring when people dress well - but in their unique interpretation. Searching for people who enjoy having fun with their style and make their own statements. If you want your picture removed, don't hesitate to contact me!
View my complete profile

Followers